Friday 25 July 2008

Inside Daze


It's been a month since my last entry - a good reflection on the weather more than anything else. We've had lots of inside days, a good opportunity for Caleb and Trev to practice guitar - especially Caleb who received an electric guitar for his birthday (not necessarily the most conducive thing to peaceful days inside a small shed). I'm looking forward to hearing more than Smoke on the Water one day.

We've planted more bare root trees and had a go at grafting different types of apple and cherries. Looking forward to finding out the success rate.

We're eating potatoes, pumpkin, yams, carrots,onions, garlic, brocoli, cauliflower, rainbow chard, parsley, coriander, lettuce and our bottled apples and tomatoes (also dried), along with eggs and honey. We still haven't gained a milking goat - Bella has been retired and a new companion has been planned for some time, but one thing or another has disrupted various plans. Hopefully soon.

The house is going slowly at the moment, but we're expecting a big burst forward soon. We're going to employ someone to help with the roofing - it's too much for one person, and with the next step being 24 rafters 200mm X 50mm X 5 metres long it will be good to have someone on the other end of them.

Caleb is enjoying his school gardening project. But I'll let him fill you in on that on his blog sometime soon.

I'm plodding away at a wind break propagating trees and buying them, and trying to make them goat, sheep, rabbit and wallaby proof all the way up the 100 metre fence line. There is a great variety of natives that I want to use as a windbreak, source of nectar for bees and eventually be able to burn inside the stove. Quickly learning that not all pollens are equal.

3 comments:

Urban Homestead South Africa said...

Hello Linda!

I am a South African homeschool mom and have almost finished your book for the second time! I share lots of it with my children and we often laugh at the antics and comments (especially the Swek/loo thing!)

I have so enjoyed it and loved your ideas and we are implementing some in our little urban homestead.

In fact yesterday I made your Passion Fruit Butter :-) Pictures on my blog!

I do hope you are going to write another book about your Tasmanian adventure....?

Regards
Wendy
http://its-our-life-for-six.blogspot.com/

LilliEve said...

I hear you with the guitar noise. My kiddo has a keyboard that must be played at full volume, & has been listening to a lot of electro/dance - you can imagine the results!

Your book is a favourite of mine and I love seeing what you are up to these days. Keep it up and thanks for the inspiration!

Anonymous said...

I got a good giggle out of 'Smoke on the Water'!

I really enjoyed reading your book, it changed my outlook on grass (I look down my holier-than-thou nose at big patches of poorly utilised fertile land now!), sneaky visits to KFC and just doing what we can.

Your story and the incredibly important information and statistics presented in your book have gone a long way in helping us change our world from our backyard (which is small but now being used to it's full potential).

I was hoping you'd make the cool climate move, I need more advice!